Sunday, October 7, 2012

I'm Mormon, I know it, I live it, I love it!

I was raised in an LDS family, and growing up the whole family attended church regularly. However, over time the majority of my immediate family no longer would consider themselves "Mormon". Because of this, I often found myself in situations agreeing with them or not standing up for what I believe. Not because I was ashamed, but because I didn't want to have to defend myself against anything they might say. I bet that if you ask my family or some of my friends to describe me they might use the words "goody-goody", "safe", or "churchy".  I'm okay with that, there are much worse words that people could use to describe me.

I go to church every Sunday, and I enjoy it. I like learning about the gospel, and I like the principles that are taught. As mormons, we are expected to keep high standards, and I like keeping these standards. I'm not saying that I haven't ever broken a rule or two, but nobody is perfect. When I do something that isn't within church standards I don't feel guilty because I was taught not to do it. I feel guilty because it isn't aligned with who I am and who I want to be. 

I wake up every day and make a conscious decision to live my life the way that I want to live it. I don't live this way because I think I am better than anyone else or because I want people to think that I am just a really great person. I choose to live this way because this is who I am. I wouldn't feel comfortable living the way some of my family members are. I don't look down on the decisions my family has made and the way they conduct there life. It just isn't who I am. I know who I am and what I stand for. I think that is more than a lot of people can say. 

I am grateful for the influence that the church has had in my life. I have a testimony of the gospel and I am grateful for the understanding that it has given me. I know that Families can be together forever. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that by following the standards outlined for members of the church I am becoming the person that I want to be. 

I'm Mormon, I know it, I live it, I love it.  

2 comments:

  1. I loved that talk.
    Fun to find your blog (through Kristen's).
    You are as beautiful as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Well said. You are incredible- you know that, right?!!! Ans btw, Tyler just about died with happiness when he saw your picture at the top of the blog. We need to Skype!

    ReplyDelete