Monday, June 24, 2013

Sometimes I wish that writing was one of my talents

Unfortunately writing is not a talent that I was born with. It just doesn't come naturally for me. I remember in elementary school my mom telling me that my sister, who was in about first grade at the time, was a better writer than me. Truth is, she probably was a better writer than me.

I have a lot of friends who have blogs that are interesting and witty. Many times I find myself laughing out loud at their stories and humor. I only wish that I had half the skill that they have when it comes to writing. I sit down to write a quick update on my blog and end up staring at a couple lines of terrible writing for an hour before giving up most days. Practice can only lead to me getting better and having writing feel more natural, right? Maybe this time around as I try to blog more regularly I can work on being more entertaining and witty while I'm at it.

My freshman year at BYU I made a list of 100 things that I would like to accomplish before I die. Not all of them are realistic, but they are all things that I wanted to do at some point. It included things like get married, have a family of my own, run a marathon, ride in a hot air balloon, etc. One of the things on my list was to write a book. I highly doubt it will ever happen, but maybe if I can figure out this whole writing thing it will be more plausible.

Last year, Scott's cousin, T. J. Robinson, published a book. I couldn't wait to read it. It's always fun knowing the author of a book. It was a great book. I didn't want to put the book down, which was very inconvenient considering it was in the middle of finals week. When I finished it I really wanted to write a book. Steve, my brother-in-law, said the same thing after he finished reading it. It's amazing how much influence a book can have on you.  It takes a great writer to make the reader wish that they could write a book too. He just announced that his next book will come out next February, and I can't wait. If you haven't read his first book I would say it is totally worth the read! His book is called The Academy Defenders and you can buy a hard copy online, or get it on you Nook or Kindle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amber, you really do have a talent for writing! Please don't sell yourself short. Maybe when your Mama said that Kelsey was a better writer, she meant she formed her letters better, maybe your writing was sloppy. I love to read the updates on your blog. You tell things as they are, but very artfully. Keep writing and some day your book will be written. After all, your Grandmother and your Uncle Lanny are both published authors. It is in your blood! Mich love to you and Scott as you travel on your journey in dental school. Thank you for making good choices. Much love to you, Your great Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy - You are so sweet, thank you for reading my blog. I love you and pray for you. You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete