Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Work sucks, and I am dumb

Do you want to hear something sad? I HATE my job! I hate taking call after call from people who want to complain about one thing or another. They used to trust us at work, it used to be fun. Just recently they started adding all sorts of rules. Rules can be a good thing. They let us know what is expected from us. Now they have rules like you can’t say can, only may. If you say can on a phone call then you will get a warning… Really? Do you think that someone is really going to be offended if I ask them if there is anything I can help them with? Plus I think it sounds better to say can. I hate reading from a script, it makes us seem like robots. We have to ask how they are. Lots of times they are angry, so how are you today? “I think that your company is scam and that you are stealing all of our money” Okay… can I get your account number? I’m sure that is what they wanted. They want us to read a script instead of responding naturally to the caller. I HATE my job!

Here I am asking myself, why do you still work there? I want to say because I get paid well, and it really isn’t that bad. But the truth is that it is that bad. I get paid okay, I probably wouldn’t be able to find a job that pays the same especially around BYU campus. I don’t think I could go back to the whole minimum wage thing. So really, why haven’t I quit yet? Because I am scared. I have no real skills, so if I did quit what would I do. I need to work, pay for my car and stuff. This job is pretty secure, I don’t get in trouble very often, and overall I am well liked. I want out, but I don’t have the guts to act. I am comfortable where I am, I may hate it, but I am pretty good at it. If I quit I wouldn’t even know where to start. I could go back to target…no thanks. I could work for my dad again… actually I don’t even know what he does anymore so that wouldn’t work. I would like to get a job at the hospital, but I need to get my MA or something so I won’t be in charge of cleaning out bed pans… I don’t know what to do. I am dumb.

3 comments:

  1. you are what? you left us hanging on that last line.

    i think matt wants to say, "quit your job and start your own business!"

    but don't do that.

    what you should do is pray. and start networking on FB and at church and maybe even with people at the hospital to see what's out there. quitting your job may be just what you need. but i like that you're being smart about it.

    pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a hard situation. I'm sorry it's so hard. And that whole can vs. may rule is really stupid. How do they know when you say one or the other? Is someone listening to your call? Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete